Harvest is an independent software company that makes tools to help businesses run more smoothly. For the past 11 years, our customers have relied on our products as a critical part of their day-to-day operations. They’re the reason we’re still in business, and their needs drive our product decisions.
Harvest started as a team of 3 and grew slowly to today’s current total of 51 lovely faces. Though we have an office in NYC, we hire the best people for the job no matter where they call home. We’ve worked as a remote team since the beginning, and we work hard to make sure everyone feels included and heard.
Design at Harvest
Our design team has a deceptively simple mission: build products that serve real world needs for people running businesses.
Our approach to building a product has always been to talk with our customers, listen to their feedback and questions, and to distill that information to discover what our customers actually need. It’s a process that requires care, patience, empathy, and intelligence. Everything we’ve been able to do as a company for the past 11 years comes from designing usable features that serve our customers’ actual needs.
This approach has served our company well, but lately we’ve taken a step back to understand how we’re serving our own team. We have a small and productive group, but we believe there’s unlocked potential that we’re not doing our best to realize.
There’s space on our team for an experienced designer who is ready to embrace the challenges of being a leader and mentor. You’ll make the team better not simply by adding raw talent, but by getting the most out of everyone here. You’ll have a mandate to recognize and nurture our team’s strengths and to identify and improve upon its weaknesses.
Does that sound like you? If so, here are some of the things we’ll ask of you:
- Mentor our designers: You’ll lead our designers and coach them through trouble. You’ll help identify areas for improvement and guide them on the path to get there. You’ll make sure we’re doing everything we can to provide a fulfilling design environment for our team.
- Improve our process: We’ll ask you to think about the way our product team works, and make the process better. Once those ideas are implemented, you’ll evaluate changes for effectiveness.
- Shape the design team: Once you’re familiar with the team you’re working with, you might find that roles could change slightly to better suit our needs, or that the team should grow. We’ll ask you to nurture our existing designers, and lead any hiring efforts so we have the right mix of people.
- Help us reach a broader audience: We want to be better at showing the rest of the world the good work we do. You’ll help us do that!
These are the qualities we consider most important in a candidate:
- Mentorship. You have a history of helping less experienced designers improve at their craft. You enjoy teaching and the good feelings that come from making the people around you better.
- Emotional intelligence. You’re able to recognize when our team is stressed, frustrated, overworked, happy, etc–even if the team doesn’t recognize this themselves! You find ways to encourage people when they’re down, motivate them when they’re stuck, and celebrate with them when they’ve succeeded.
- Communication. You’ll have a substantial influence on how we communicate as a team and to the world beyond. As a remote-first company, we rely on the written word and you’re more than capable of sharing your thoughts and ideas in ways that are compelling, thorough, and hopefully a little fun.
- Experience. The saying “those who can’t, teach” doesn’t apply here. We’re looking for someone who has a history of seeing their product work out in the world.
- ragmatism. You make decisions because you believe they’ll work for the situation at hand – not because a solution is trendy or has worked for you in the past.
- Respect. We all come to the table with different worldviews and experiences, but we can debate ideas because we share the goal of shipping the best possible solutions.
- Humor. We try to have fun together because, after all, it’s just a job.
When you Apply
Tell us why working at Harvest appeals to you and what you’ll bring to the team.
Tell us about a recent project that made you happy and proud.
Show us something!