This position is available to Work From Home and can be located anywhere in the United States.
The Content Writer’s responsibilities include creating, editing, and revising proposal text that is used to secure new business. The Content Writer reads RFPs/evaluation criteria, comprehends customers’ needs, and creates original responses and/or modifies existing content to present persuasive and customized technical narratives that accurately describe HMH’s PreK-12 core and intervention programs. The Content Writer is expected to maintain an in-depth knowledge of HMH’s core and intervention programs via independent research and collaborative relationships with the Product Planning, Development, and Marketing group. This position also includes key responsibilities for reposing content that is used for multiple purposes.
- Reviews and identifies critical criteria in RFPs, bids, and rubrics; identifies and/or creates technical content; and positions it appropriately in customer-centered narrative responses. Ensures accuracy of all products and desktop publishing of proposal narrative and ancillary material (e.g. tables, charts, graphics, etc.)
- Compares customers’ needs with HMH’s PreK-12 core and intervention programs (print and digital), participates in Bid/No Bid discussions, and offers insight and recommendations based on experience and knowledge
- Collaborates with the Product Planning, Development, and Marketing team while researching HMH’s core and intervention programs (launched and pipeline programs)
- Edits and revises written pieces submitted by others
- Assists Manager, Content Quality with the development and entry of content into Qvidian system; share ideas for the effective use of the system
- Participates in multiple types of training to maintain knowledge
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a proposal writer, technical writer, or content writer required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a teacher (K-12) required
- Excellent written/verbal communication; knowledge of and experience with the Chicago Manual of Style; and organizational, analytical, and time management skills are a must
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs; experience with Qvidian a plus
- Ability to work under multiple tight deadlines
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing) for 4+ hours
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face-to-face, phone, and/or online meetings
- Travel may be up to 10% of the time
- This position is remote (work from home)
- Must have experience as a writer and as a K-12 classroom teacher (please see Education Level and/or Relevant Experience section)
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ: HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children’s books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.