Designers at Help Scout are responsible for the brand, and for creating an exceptional product experience. Everything customer-facing passes through the design team in some way. You’ll be making things that are seen and/or used by several hundred thousand people every month.
About the role
- You’ll be part of our 5-person design team, and you’ll report to Jared, one of Help Scout’s co-founders. Each designer brings a unique set of skills to the group and makes their colleagues better.
- You’ll be working on our website, which sees just under half a million unique visitors every month. In addition to designing, coding and deploying new work for the site, you’ll help us push into new formats: video, podcast, new media and other experiments. We’ll look to you to raise the creative bar on these efforts.
- You’ll be working in a design-led company, with people that give you the time to do excellent work. But we also hold you to high standards, which means you must be incredibly persistent, open to feedback/debate and always willing to experiment with new ideas.
Who you’ll work with
- Jared McDaniel, Co-founder & Designer – Jared brings a great deal of knowledge and experience to our brand, our products, and our marketing site.
- Stephen Murrill, Illustrator & Visual Designer – Stephen’s expertise and vision helps guide our brand, ensuring that Help Scout is presented consistently and beautifully across-the-board.
- Eli Overbey, Growth Engineer – Eli manages our paid channels, SEO, and data analytics. In addition, you’ll work with him to continually improve our pre-signup user experience.
- Nadia Basil, Head of Product Marketing – Nadia is a master of words. You’ll work with her to craft every last word on our marketing pages, and within the product.
- You love shipping new things. Working alongside our Growth team means you’ll be moving quickly on a number of projects and experiments. Once we know how an experiment plays out, there’s time to polish and improve your work.
- Most of your creative work starts in Sketch or Photoshop. Visual design is a skill that you’re passionate about.
- You never stop working on your craft. When looking at your work over the years, it’s clear you’ve never stopped improving.
- You are a great communicator. You have no trouble keeping your teammates in the loop and getting work done in the time allotted for it.
- Help Scout is a remote team with employees in eleven countries (eight people in the Boston office). We optimize for excellence over geography and overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, chat and video conferencing.
- We’re a customer-driven company and always will be. Everything follows the customer experience, no exceptions.
- Our company is growing and has aspirations of helping millions of people around the world. Accomplishing our goals will present countless challenges and require you to excel in every aspect of the position. It’s hard work, but the people we’re looking for love exploring and solving hard problems.
- This is not the typical startup “rocket ship.” We’ll never compromise customers or the experience in favor of growth. Our purpose is to build a profitable company that small businesses love and sustain it. We optimize your career at Help Scout for the long term as well, so keeping a healthy work/life balance is an important priority.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Competitive Salary – We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Work anywhere – Work from our office in Boston or anywhere else, provided you have 4 hours of overlap with the team. We’ll even buy your home office furniture or help you pay for a co-working space.
- Health and dental insurance – We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Harvard Pilgrim HMO or PPO policies.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance – we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider.
- International Benefit Stipend – If you’re based outside the US, you’ll receive a monthly stipend that goes towards covering medical insurance, long and short-term disability, and accountant costs.
- Flexible vacation – Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption – 12 weeks if you have or adopt a baby, 4 weeks if your partner has a baby.
- 401k with 1% match– 1% Retirement Plan matching for both US and International Employees
- Personal development stipend – Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools – Each employee receives a Mac laptop and 27” display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need as well as high-end furniture to get your home office started
- Complete transparency – Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION