Cloud Operations Manager
Waltham, MA or Remote
Why Carbon Black?
At Carbon Black, you’ll have the opportunity to make a huge impact while working alongside a global community of passionate people who are leading the way in cutting-edge technology. Our valued employees across the world have made Carbon Black a Top Place to Work, as named by the Boston Globe for two consecutive years.
Our Engineering team is moving at lightning speed on the cutting edge of technology. You’ll be pulling things apart and tinkering, building new platforms, or playing in the cloud. Here, the engineering opportunities are endless. With this fast-paced, synergistic group, you’ll be working together and across the organization to ensure customer success, all while continuing to build a product that protects their dearest assets.
Why You Matter
The Operations Manager is responsible for our SaaS offering for the Carbon Black Response Cloud product, hosted on AWS. This includes systems and network infrastructure and operations that ensure systems security, stability, and availability through innovative technology solutions. He/she will participate in future planning, and have full ownership of the infrastructure and operations over the complete lifecycle of systems and services for the Carbon Black Response Cloud product. The Operations Manager is also responsible for managing and coordinating infrastructure and operations activities within the organization.
You will help ensure the company has a technology infrastructure that is on par with the very best. With your passion to solve problems, build a team and well-run processes, and strong internal drive to deliver premium service, you will be focused on keeping our servers/infrastructure up and ensuring our customers have the best experience possible.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee areas of system architecture, infrastructure, network, and systems support functions in AWS
- Work closely with the engineering and Product Management leaders to establish a clear strategy for Carbon Black’s technology infrastructure, the operational model, resourcing model, ensuring all NOC and Infrastructure work is delivered, maintained and has adequate staffing
- Deliver all production environments, applications, and products to meet or exceed agreed operational KPIs and SLAs
- Work closely with our engineering team to ensure our orchestration is geared toward the most important priorities for the NOC
- Work with the business, develop and deliver a clear roadmap and cost model for the production environment, including cost per customer and maintaining margins, capacity, and security
- Ensure the team has sufficient and suitable skills to provide high quality support for our production systems
- Appropriately manage incidents, root cause analysis, and remediation activities using industry standard methodology
- Stay abreast of industry advances and develop relevant strategic plans and proposals to allow Carbon Black to exploit technology advances in order to drive revenue, reduce cost or reduce risk
- Identify and introduce industry best practice in terms of infrastructure management, information security, and operations
- Periodically benchmark current service levels against internal and external delivery models to provide optimal pricing and ability to directly link cost to demand where appropriate
- Provide leadership and drive to ensure that the infrastructure and operations teams consistently meet objectives on time, to budget, and to quality and security standards
- Take ownership of all projects and programs within infrastructure and operations and ensure that they deliver agreed benefits and meet time, budget and quality standards
- Partner with finance on annual capital budget and operational plan for infrastructure and operations. Manage costs and report on the fiscal progress against this plan and budget / forecast in established monthly and quarterly intervals through the year
- Ensure that the day-to-day functions are being completed by all members of the team, giving visibility into metrics on how we are doing
- Ensure that team members continue to build on our knowledgebase and playbook as part of our regular process
- Strong problem-solving skills to resolve technical issue as they relate to the end clients experience with our delivery of applications and services
- Candidate should be comfortable in contributing via hands-on work, participating in direct conversations with clients as needed and be knowledgeable on critical issues
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in technology field or equivalent and a minimum of eight years relevant experience. Must have at least four years managing a team.
- Five years of experience in AWS and related technologies
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience supporting a platform that delivers product to customers
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Ability to provide after-hours and weekend support as needed, supporting the team
- Knowledge of and ability to oversee the processes, tools and techniques used to manage SaaS product offering and the resources needed to meet our SLAs
- Knowledge of and ability to install, maintain and update infrastructure to control the access of business information
- Highly service-focused individual with experience running production/staging environments, hosting and managing cloud-based solutions, and managing a team, including on-call and shift management
- Strong commercial understanding and focus, with experience of managing budgets, programs, and staff
- Experience in working with an Agile development process a plus, as we will have a group dedicated to improving NOC capabilities and execution
- Experience in preparing technology groups for compliance audits such as SOC2 preferred
- Experience managing partners and vendors, including contract negotiation, contract management and dispute resolution a plus
- Strong experience running and sponsoring infrastructure projects at all levels
Who We Are
Carbon Black has designed the most complete next-gen endpoint security platform, enabling organizations to stop the most attacks, see every threat, close security gaps, and evolve their defenses. The Cb Endpoint Security Platform helps organizations of all sizes replace legacy antivirus technology, lock down systems, and arm incident response teams with advanced tools to proactively hunt down threats. Today, Carbon Black has approximately 2,000 worldwide customers, including 25 of the Fortune 100 and more than 600 employees. Carbon Black was voted Best Endpoint Protection by security professionals in the SANS Institute’s Best of 2015 Awards.
Carbon Black is an Equal Opportunity Employer.