You are a hybrid software engineer. You can cross systems, DevOps, and application software boundaries. You have a history of shipping high-quality production code in Python. You are skilled working directly on the command line. You embrace automation and take pride in building internal tools to help your team be more efficient. You are not afraid to jump into application code to ship a new feature or infrastructure code to help scale a system.
You solve challenges involving scaling, reliability, high availability, data pipelines, micro-services, and more in your day-to-day work. You are comfortable building and scaling applications on one or more technologies that make up our AWS stack, including Python, Django, RabbitMQ, Zookeeper, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Redis, Memcache, Postgres, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible and more.
You have experience working with databases. You are comfortable modeling database schemas and writing queries across a variety of data sources. You are able to work with data scientists to help understand what’s happening in a production system and how to use it intelligently.
You have worked with teams before scaling large projects. You understand that automation plays a critical role in scaling. You have designed and implemented systems in a distributed manner and are comfortable scaling these systems across hundreds (and even thousands) of servers. You have no problem keeping systems like these running even while you sleep…because you’ve automated it.
You love doing things efficiently. At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe in systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
You love learning. Engineering is an ever-evolving world. You enjoy playing with new tech and exploring areas that you might not have experience with yet.
You love to set your own direction. At Zapier, we have one team meeting each week and one-on-one meetings every month. Between those we chat in Slack and then go make things happen.
You are friendly and patient, welcoming, considerate, and respectful.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a startup, so you’ll likely get an opportunity to be involved in a little bit of everything. That said, here are some things you’ll get to lead:
- Solve and implement scalability improvements to keep tasks running efficiently for millions of users
- Implement systems to improve developer efficiency
- Automate disaster recovery efforts, including introducing random “chaos” into the system to test and improve overall resiliency to failures
- Build tooling to increase visibility into our running production systems, measure performance continuously, and act upon changes
- Give back to the community via open source and blog posts
- Experiment: this is a startup so everything can change as we experiment with doing more custom partnership work
For the past five years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use.
We believe that there are jobs that a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs that a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses everywhere to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have 10X the impact with less work.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe that customer service is what makes great products. Everyone does support at Zapier because when everyone does support, everyone puts the customer at the center of their role.
We believe in simplicity in code
The Whole Package
Location: Anywhere you want.
If you want to work remote, that’s cool. If you want to work near others, that’s cool too. The current Infrastructure team is in Illinois, Missouri, California, and India.
- Based on experience
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage
- 401k retirement plan with 4% company match
- Profit sharing
- 2-3 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy (plus we insist you take at least 2 weeks off each year – this isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation).
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with the best software companies in the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies.
Set your own destiny.